Updated: Mar 4, 2020
Savory Sausage and Cheese Quiche with a Gluten-Free Crust
This rich, creamy quiche is satisfying and makes wonderful left-overs. We try to avoid nitrates and unhealthy additives, so I opt to have my pork ground and left unseasoned by the butcher. Try calling a local farm or shopping from a farm or ranch who sells direct on-line. They can provide you with fresh ground pork rather than seasoned and processed. (If you live close by, we will have some pastured Berkshire pork again this spring) Then, add your own natural seasonings using sea salt, fresh ground pepper and organic herbs.
INGREDIENTS: (for the filling)
6 large fresh eggs beaten
1 pound fresh ground pork
1 cup heavy cream
½ sweet onion, finely chopped
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp fresh ground pepper
½ tsp fresh sage, minced
½ tsp fresh rosemary, minced
½ cup extra-sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
½ cup Gruyere cheese, grated
½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Prepare pie crust (below) or if in a pinch pick up a frozen option at your local grocer.
3. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, cream, onions and spices.
4. Add in cheese and stir well.
5. Pour mixture into your unbaked pie shell and bake until the quiche is golden on top, about 45 minutes or so. If needed, cover the crust with foil to keep it from burning.
6. Remove from oven and let rest on a wire rack for 5 -10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.